Friday

Friday, March 14, 2008

Content Objective: 5.01 Increase fluency, comprehension, and insight through a meaningful and comprehensive literacy program by reading literature and other materials selected by the teacher, taking an active role in whole class seminars, and discussing the effects of such literary devices as figurative language. 5.02 Study the characteristics of literary genres (drama) through reading a play.

Language Objective: Take a part in the reading of a play.

Essential Question: What happens to a dream deferred?

Today in class we checked the reading comprehension questions from the excerpt from The Cay. We made up a few similes and I discussed Monday's lesson. Then we shared the reading of A Raisin in the Sun and I cast it pretty well. I enjoyed it all four times. My homeroom came back at the end of the day to enjoy their prize for winning a poster contest: a soda party with the added bonus of watching the UNC/FSU game on TV. I broke out the Scrabble games and they were a hit around the room. I'll be sure to keep that going.

Homework: SSR.